Summer '23 LUFC Transfer thread

Titman

Re: Summer '23 LUFC Transfer thread

Post by Titman »

Batley_white wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:37 pm Exc - Willy Gnonto is back in first-team training with Leeds United.

Discussions with Daniel Farke and Angus Kinnear have seen him rejoin the main group today.

Follows his transfer request and absence from the last three games.

As per Phil Hay, shouldn't laugh but obviously realised the grass isn't always greener
Roll on 10 days time. We’ll see then.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Schwantz34 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:04 pm Linked with Paintsil over on WACCOE and the plane spotters.
Maybe if someone leaves but can't see us signing a winger as it stands, not when we're crying out for a 10/9. Unless this guy can play there? Transfermarkt has him down as a winger
Rick

Post by Rick »

Titman wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:51 pm
Batley_white wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:37 pm Exc - Willy Gnonto is back in first-team training with Leeds United.

Discussions with Daniel Farke and Angus Kinnear have seen him rejoin the main group today.

Follows his transfer request and absence from the last three games.

As per Phil Hay, shouldn't laugh but obviously realised the grass isn't always greener
Roll on 10 days time. We’ll see then.
If he does go it will be for a fee we deem acceptable. The way this little scenario has ended affirms we aren't going to be pushed around.
Yeboahs left foot

Post by Yeboahs left foot »

Apparently we asked for £32m plus £3m in add ons.
Hampshirewhites

Post by Hampshirewhites »

Rick wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:58 pm Nixon says we're in for O'brien
Bielsa wanted him. Great signing.
Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Rick wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:18 pm
Schwantz34 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:04 pm Linked with Paintsil over on WACCOE and the plane spotters.
Maybe if someone leaves but can't see us signing a winger as it stands, not when we're crying out for a 10/9. Unless this guy can play there? Transfermarkt has him down as a winger
I don't know much about him but that very same site says he can also play CF.
Titman

Post by Titman »

Schwantz34 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:47 pm
Rick wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:18 pm
I don't know much about him but that very same site says he can also play CF.
Bit like Rutter
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hampshirewhites wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:44 pm
Rick wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:58 pm Nixon says we're in for O'brien
Bielsa wanted him. Great signing.
Yep. Though we weren't willing to spend north of £10m for him (despite having a manager who tuned piss into wine identifying him). Seemed pretty low risk.

Though apparently Radz was easy to convince Rutter was worth £35m.

Suppose Radz trusted Orta's opinion more than one of the most respected football minds of all time.
Last edited by Rick on Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

So I wonder, is the lack of signings down to having a certain amount we can spend under FFP and they were waiting to see who was staying so they knew where to put the money they have available? Might be way off but something to think about.

Now Adams is gone surely adding some wiggle room and Gnonto is staying so doesn't need replacing will we start to see movement? The O'Brien link from an actual source after ages of nothing might suggest it. I do realise the Aarons deal would go against this at the same time though.

Christ knows though really and like I said I might be way off.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Schwantz34 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:16 pm So I wonder, is the lack of signings down to having a certain amount we can spend under FFP and they were waiting to see who was staying so they knew where to put the money they have available? Might be way off but something to think about.

Now Adams is gone surely adding some wiggle room and Gnonto is staying so doesn't need replacing will we start to see movement? The O'Brien link from an actual source after ages of nothing might suggest it. I do realise the Aarons deal would go against this at the same time though.

Christ knows though really and like I said I might be way off.
That's what I reckon too. Though time will tell if we're right (hopefully we are). It's going to have to be a very busy week ahead.

Aarons played under Farke, who no doubt was the driving force behind that attempt. Perhaps the board thought it a worthwhile move to keep him happy amidst the reactive approach we are forced to take. They seem to really respect his opinion (having him take centre stage in transfer meetings) so maybe thought it was worth deviating from the approach in special circumstances.

Also the rhetoric from Farke from day one has been that the end of the window will be when we shine, which supports yer theory.
Last edited by Rick on Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.